Will Windows 10 Achieve Its Billion Users?
Tuesday, 03 May 2016

The end of April statistics for desktop operating system market share from Net Applications show that uptake of Windows 10 is continuing, but at a slower rate.

The free upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and later versions is still free. With the July deadline, i.e 12 months from the launch of Windows 10, for this offer fast approaching you might expect to see an increase in the rate of adoption of Windows 10.

This just doesn't seem to be happening.

April16Win7

The main message from this month's pie chart is that for the first time Windows 7 is no longer on the majority of desktops. Whereas three months ago, when we last reported on the global desktop OS scene Windows 7 had 52.47%, its share has now dropped to 47.82%, a difference of 4.65%. Windows XP also continues to decline - and has dropped a further 0.79% since January. 

You might expect that this would be reflected in an increase for Windows 10 - but in fact since the end of January Windows 10 has only increased its share by 3.49%. One anomaly is that Windows 8.0 has in fact gained 0.51% over this period!

More worrying for Microsoft is that Windows share of the desktop market has fallen below 90% for the first time since Net Applications started collecting these statistics in 2007.

April16Windows

There is a lot of speculation that Microsoft will extend the free upgrade to Windows 10 beyond the July deadline. But until such an announcement is made we had better continue believing that the deadline is real. Once this is certain users of Windows 7 who don't want to upgrade will be feeling increasingly annoyed at the amount of nagging they are subject to. Is this enough to make them desert Windows in droves, I rather doubt it.

At the beginning of the year we reported Windows 10 At 200 Million Devices but since then, it seems, Microsoft isn't making significant headway towards being on 1 Billion. 

windowdevs

More Information

NetMarketShare

Related Articles

Windows 10 Surpasses Windows 8.1

Windows 10 At 200 Million Devices

How Is Windows 10 Doing? 

Windows 10 - The Trojan Horse 

Windows XP Lives On

Windows XP Loses Share Windows 8.1 Gains

Windows Not 9 But 10

To be informed about new articles on I Programmer, sign up for our weekly newsletter, subscribe to the RSS feed and follow us on, Twitter, FacebookGoogle+ or Linkedin

Banner

Generative AI Training For All On Coursera
04/03/2024

Generative AI is on the loose, getting into business and commerce as well as into art, poetry and coding. Already useful, it  will become ever more useful as long as we use it properly. Coursera  [ ... ]

TypeScript 5.4 Adds NoInfer Type
12/03/2024

TypeScript 5.4 has been released, with the addition of a NoInfer utility type alongside preserved narrowing in closures following last assignments. 

More News

raspberry pi books

Comments

or email your comment to: comments@i-programmer.info

Last Updated ( Wednesday, 20 April 2022 )