TouchStudio is a Windows Phone app that lets you write scripts that run on the phone. The latest version 1.2 has just been released and it adds some significant features that make TouchStudio a credible way of creating apps.
The key additions are a game and physics engine and there's a demo ninja game included in the release. Also included is a new canvas-like element - the board. A board contains a collection of items (“sprites”) that are rendered on the board, and which you can easily move around, obeying basic laws of physics that involve speed, acceleration, etc. Now you can create games with just a few lines of script code.
You can also now pin scripts to the TouchStudio home screen and post directly to Facebook. You can now log into Facebook from TouchStudio, and then post text, pictures, or links to your Facebook wall. An odd upgrade is the introduction of global variables - most simple scripting languages start out with globals and try to figure out how to control them later!
The list of improvements are:
- New fast game and physics engine ("board")
- Improved tiles on TouchStudio home screen
- Pinning of individual actions as tiles
- Separation of tiles and scripts
- Post on your Facebook wall directly from your script
- Global variables ("data")
- Run all actions directly; enter arguments on wall if needed
- Improvements in code editor
- Selection of subexpressions
- Extraction of subexpressions (a refactoring that introduces a new local variable)
- Copy & paste of entire actions
- Tutorial videos
- Many new samples, performance improvements, and transition animations, and bug fixes
Scripting app for Windows Phone 7
If you would like to be informed about new articles on I Programmer you can either follow us on Twitter or Facebook or you can subscribe to our weekly newsletter.