May Week 2
Saturday, 13 May 2023

Get up to speed on stuff that affects you as a developer with our weekly digest which summarizes the week's news together with links to the latest book review and our additions to Book Watch.

To receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter.

I Programmer Logo Square

May 04 - 10, 2023

Featured Articles

How To Optimize C Code With memcpy
09 May | Jeff Broth
article thumbnail

If you need to move data in C, you need memcopy. Here we explain what it is, what it does and how its optimization at the hardware level leads to its ability to copy large volumes of content between memory blocks faster and more efficiently than other methods.

The Web - The Early Years
04 May | Historian
article thumbnail

A time before the World Wide Web? Yes, there was one. In fact the Web is quite young, dating from 1991 when its inventor, Tim Berners-Lee then based at CERN, launched the first ever web site.

Banner

Programming News and Views

AWS CodeCatalyst Instant Projects
10 May | Administrator
article thumbnail

I have a dream development environment where I sit down in front of a machine and say I want to write a C program and magically I have a cloud server connected to a local IDE and I'm off. CodeCatalyst is something like this and it's now generally available.

What Devs Think About AI
10 May | Janet Swift
article thumbnail

A survey from open data platform Directus reveals that the majority of developers are cautiously optimistic about the impact AI could have on the websites and software they produce. Despite concern about AI providing misinformation over half were intending to incorporate ChatGPT or Whisper API in their projects.

Grafana Updates Cloud Platform
09 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Grafana Labs, creators of the Grafana open-source metrics analytics and visualization suite, has announced updates to its Grafana Cloud platform.

Award Recognizes DCTCP Pioneer
09 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

Mohammad Alizadeh is the latest recipient of The ACM Grace Murray Hopper Award which recognizes the outstanding young computer professional of the year, selected on the basis of a single recent major technical or service contribution.

InfluxDB 3.0 Time-Series Database Released
08 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

InfluxData has released InfluxDB 3.0. The latest version of the time-series database is described as offering a high performance, unlimited cardinality, SQL support, and low-cost object store.

GitLab Announces AI-Assisted Vulnerability Checks
08 May | Alex Denham
article thumbnail

GitLab, the web-based repository manager for Git, has announced an experimental AI-assisted vulnerability recommendations feature.

A Gentle Introduction To React, Visualized
07 May | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

React quickly became a popular JavaScript framework. Here's a very useful interactive website by ui.dev that showcases React's
capabilities and how it has helped in changing the face of the Web.

Hinton Explains His New Fear of AI
05 May | Mike James
article thumbnail

This week Geoffrey Hinton resigned from Google in order to speak freely and warn us about the existential threat posed to humanity by AI. In this video he explains what has changed his mind after an entire career working towards artificial intelligence.

30 Years Ago World Wide Web Released Into Public Domain
05 May | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

The World Wide Web (W3) was released into the public domain on April 30th, 1993 after CERN had been unable to interest either commercial software companies or the European Union in taking over responsibility for it.

PyCharm 2023.1 Adds Support For Remote Jupyter Notebooks
04 May | Mike James
article thumbnail

The 2023 train of releases for PyCharm is underway, with the first major release adding support for remote Jupyter notebooks, enhancements to the new UI, and improved type inference for generics.

.NET 8 Preview 3 Improves ASP.NET Core
04 May | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Preview 3 of .NET 8 has been released with improvements to ASP.NET Core and enhanced support for Blazor.

Banner

Books of the Week

If you want to purchase, or to know more about, any of the titles listed below from Amazon, click on the book jackets at the top of the right sidebar. If you do make Amazon purchases after this, we may earn a few cents through the Amazon Associates program which is a small source of revenue that helps us to continue posting.

Full Review

The Book Of Kubernetes

Author: Alan Hohn
Publisher: No Starch Press
Pages: 384
ISBN: 978-1718502642
Audience: Developers interested in Kubernetes
Rating: 4.5
Reviewer: Kay Ewbank

Containers such as Kubernetes let developers deploy apps in a platform-independent way and this book sets out to explain what containers are and how to use them.

Book Watch

Principled Programming (DateTree Press)

This book, subtitled "Introduction to Programming in Any Imperative Language" is a methodology-oriented introduction to computer programming, concentrating on programming principles, not language features. To keep focus and avoid distraction, Tim Teitelbaum, Professor Emeritus of the Department of Computer Science, Cornell University limits his examples to a minimal programming language that is a subset of Java.

Web Design, 7th Ed (In Easy Steps)

This book reveals the key principles of good web design for building effective and attractive websites. Sean McManus introduces the key technologies of the web, and the design principles that underpin successful sites and looks at how websites are designed so that you can make the right decisions in launching your own site. By the end of the book readers will be able to build your own simple website using HTML and CSS.

.NET MAUI for C# Developers (Packt)

This book is a practical guide to using C# and .NET MAUI to build native cross-platform apps with a single codebase. Jesse Liberty and Rodrigo Juarez start with the fundamentals and quickly move on to intermediate and advanced topics on laying out pages, navigating between them, and adding controls to gather and display data.

IP2

I Programmer has reported news for over 12 years. You can access I Programmer Weekly back to January 2012 for all the headlines plus the book reviews and articles.

To keep up with the latest news and receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn , where you are welcome to share all our stories.

You can also subscribe to our RSS Feeds - we have one for Full Contents , another for News and also one for Books with details of reviews and additions to Book Watch.

Send your programming press releases, news items or comments to : NewsDesk@i-programmer.info

<ASIN:1718502648>

<ASIN:1871962072>

<ASIN:B0BZF8R467>

<ASIN:1871962781>

<ASIN: 1840789859>

<ASIN:1871962595>

<ASIN:1837631697 >

<ASIN:1871962439>

Last Updated ( Saturday, 13 May 2023 )