|Revised Apache Spark MOOC|
|Written by Alex Denham|
|Wednesday, 17 August 2016|
The online course on Big Data Analysis from BerkeleyX on the edX platform started a re-run this week with a new focus. It now teaches students to program using Spark's Machine Learning pipelines and DataFrames.
CS110x: Big Data Analysis with Apache Spark is a four week course at intermediate level that opened on August 15 2016 and runs until September 12 is the successor to CS100.1x: Introduction to Big Data with Apache Spark and has the same overall goal of enabling students to learn how to use Apache Spark to perform data analysis. However, whereas the previous incarnation focused only on Spark programming using lower-level Spark abstraction and programming paradigm of Resilient Distributed Datasets the new version shows how to use Apache Spark Machine Learning libraries to analyze Big Data using DataFrames, Spark SQL, and Resilient Distributed Datasets. This will make of interest to students who have taken CS100.1x but are unfamiliar with Spark Machine Learning pipelines as well as the new cohort of students coming to the course for the first time.
The course is taught by Anthony D Joseph who is both Professor in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and Technical Adviser at Databricks. The previous version of the course received positive ratings (average 4.2 out of 5 stars) and the consensus was that the weekly labs were the core of the course. The course assignments for this version include Prediction using Machine Learning algorithms, Collaborative Filtering, and Textual Entity Recognition exercises that teach students how to manipulate datasets using parallel processing with PySpark, Spark SQL, and Spark Machine Learning Pipelines. The lab exercises account for 84% of the grade, the other 16% coming from multiple choice quizzes and all assignments are due by September 12th, 2016.
The syllabus of the course is as follows:
Week 1: Big Data and Data Science
Week 2: Performing Data Science
Week 3: Apache Spark's Resilient Distributed Datasets
Week 4: Statistics
Although CS110x can be taken on its own, it is the second part of the three course X series. The introductory 2-week course, CS is currently underway but there is still time to join in this presentation with the advantage of becoming familiar with the PySpark environment and covering the basics.
The discussion forum for these classes is on Piazza and it seems a friendly and supportive environment with plenty of positivity about the course so far - especailly the labs.
CS110x: Big Data Analysis with Apache Spark
What is a Data Scientist and How Do I Become One?
Data Science Curriculum on edX
Coursera Data Science Specialization
Microsoft Launches Professional Degree Program With Data Science Pilot
Coursera Offers MOOC-Based Master's in Data Science
To be informed about new articles on I Programmer, sign up for our weekly newsletter, subscribe to the RSS feed and follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Google+ or Linkedin.
or email your comment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
|Last Updated ( Wednesday, 17 August 2016 )|