Microsoft Adds Copilot Key To Windows
Written by Kay Ewbank   
Friday, 05 January 2024

Microsoft is making AI assistance more ubiquitous with the announcement that new Windows PCs will come with a Copilot key.

Those of us who are survivors of the dreaded Clippy leaping out and offering usually unhelpful advice may groan, but Yusuf Mehdi, Executive Vice President, Consumer Chief Marketing Officer at Microsoft is more upbeat, saying:

"We are excited to take the next significant step forward and introduce the Copilot key to Windows 11 PCs. In this new year, we will be ushering in a significant shift toward a more personal and intelligent computing future where AI will be seamlessly woven into Windows from the system, to the silicon, to the hardware. This will not only simplify people's computing experience but also amplify it, making 2024 the year of the AI PC."

wincopilot

The Copilot key will sit alongside the Windows key as a core part of the PC keyboard and when pressed, will invoke Copilot in Windows,  opening a chatbot similar to ChatGPT. The chatbot will offer answers to questions, or will offer to carry out  actions in Windows. Users in countries where Windows Copilot isn’t yet available will get Windows Search launched instead.

Mehdi said the new Copilot key marks the first significant change to the Windows PC keyboard in nearly three decades. 

"Nearly 30 years ago, we introduced the Windows key to the PC keyboard that enabled people all over the world to interact with Windows. We see this as another transformative moment in our journey with Windows where Copilot will be the entry point into the world of AI on the PC."

The key will appear on new windows PCs leading up to and at CES,  with availability beginning in late February through Spring, including on upcoming Surface devices. Microsoft hasn't made any announcements on which companies will be launching PCs with Copilot included. More details are expected to be available at CES.

wincopilot

More Information

Microsoft Copilot Website

Related Articles

Microsoft Windows Announced 40 Years Ago

Copilot X Star Of Show on Build Day 1

Microsoft Announces New Tools at Ignite

To be informed about new articles on I Programmer, sign up for our weekly newsletter, subscribe to the RSS feed and follow us on Twitter, Facebook or Linkedin.

Banner

Pulumi Adds Infrastructure Lifecycle Management Features
25/04/2024

Pulumi has added new infrastructure lifecycle management features to Pulumi Deployments, its deployments and workflow product.

Interact With Virtual Historic Computers
14/04/2024

Alan Turing's ACE computer is a legendary computer that is particularly special for I Programmer - our account of it was the first ever history article on the site when it launched in 2009. Now this i [ ... ]

More News

raspberry pi books

Comments

or email your comment to: comments@i-programmer.info

Last Updated ( Thursday, 18 January 2024 )