August Week 3
Written by Editor   
Saturday, 22 August 2020

If you want to get up to speed on stuff that affects you as a developer, our weekly digest summarizes the articles, book reviews,and news written each day by programmers, for programmers. This week we start with an extract from Mike James' "Programmer's Guide to Theory". This is followed by a biography of Steve Wozniak to celebrate his 70th Birthday.

To receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter. 

IP2

August 13 - 19, 2020 

Featured Articles

Programmer's Guide To Theory - Error Correction
Mike James
article thumbnail

Error correcting codes are essential to computing and all sorts of communications. At first they seem a bit like magic. How can you possibly not only detect an error but correct it as well? How do they work? In fact it turns out to be easy to understand the deeper principles.

Steve Wozniak - Electronics Genius
Harry Fairhead
article thumbnail

Co-designer of the Apple computer, Woz is one of the computer pioneers who have changed the way we work and play. He is also something much rarer today, an electronics genius. He has just turned 70, so this seems like a good time to look back on his achievements.

Banner

News and Comment

Open Source Is Not Growing Anymore

19 Aug | Mike James
article thumbnail

Open source, we all love it when it comes to using it, but not so much when it comes to contributing to it. How often have you wished for an improvement or a bug fix, but resisted the call to roll up your own sleeves and do the job? It seems the production side of open source has a problem and open source isn't growing anymore.

Amazon Makes Machine Learning Courses Available to All
18 Aug | Alex Armstrong
article thumbnail

Amazon is making the curriculum from its Machine Learning University freely accessible to anybody who wants to view it. Three accelerated online courses are now available and the plan is to offer more in future.

Go Improves Linker
18 Aug | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Go 1.15 has been released with improvements to the linker along with better handling of allocation for small objects at high core counts. Alongside these improvements, there are changes to the implementation of the toolchain, runtime, and libraries.

Updated: Epic Games V Apple & Google - Smash The App Stores
17 Aug | Mike James
article thumbnail

Why this hasn't happened before is a mystery, but at long last a big software company has decided to rebel against both the App Store and Google Play. Epic Games has filed a civil anti-trust lawsuit against Apple - and made fun of them with a parody of the famous 1984 Apple ad. Could this be the beginning of the end?

SQLite 3.33 Increases Maximum Database Size
17 Aug | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

SQLite has been updated, taking the maximum supported database size to 281TB, and adding support for UPDATE FROM. The new version also improves the integrity check verification.

New TypeScript Website Launched
17 Aug | Ian Elliot
article thumbnail

A new website for TypeScript has been announced by Microsoft. The new site includes better code samples, improved visibility of JavaScript, and the use of a new TypeScript markup format.

10 Years On: Oracle V Google Still Ongoing
16 Aug | Sue Gee
article thumbnail

Who would have thought in August 2010 that Oracle's lawsuit against Google would still be ongoing 10 years later - and likely without final resolution for another two to three years. We look back at our original news report and a summary of milestones since.

Showcase Your Code With Grasshopper's Gallery
14 Aug | Nikos Vaggalis
article thumbnail

Google's intuitive learn-to code-platform, Grasshopper,
has added a Gallery feature, the idea of which is to promote sharing of  projects and to showcase your code.  

Mozilla Layoffs Include MDN Team
13 Aug | Ian Elliot
article thumbnail

Further to yesterday's report of layoffs at Mozilla we now know that Mozilla's MDN team are among those losing their jobs, which will come as a blow to the many developers who rely on MDN as a source of quality documentation.

Elyra JupyterLab AI Extension Improves Usability
13 Aug | Kay Ewbank
article thumbnail

Elyra AI Toolkit is now available in a 1.0 release. The open source project extends the JupyterLab user interface to simplify the development of data science and AI models.

Banner

Books of the Week

Added to Book Watch   

Full Review 

• Reviewed by Kay Ewbank who awarded it a rating of 4.5 out of 5, concluding:

I'm not normally a reader of Dummies books, but a topic like blockchain and Ethereum in particular is actually a good target for the format. This would still be too hard a book if you've not got some computing and developing experience, but it does explain the topic straightforwardly and in an understandable way. I found some of the screenshots were a bit small and difficult to read, but you can see the main details. Having read it, I definitely felt I had a better grasp of how Ethereum came to be the most popular blockchain implementation. I'd still want to read a more detailed guide before I started a large Ethereum-based project for real, but this is a good way to get started.

IP2

If you want to delve into I Programmer's coverage of the news over the years, you can access I Programmer Weekly back to January 2012. 

To keep up with the latest news and receive this digest automatically by email, sign up for our weekly newsletter and follow us on Twitter,Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn, where you are welcome to share all our stories. 

You can also subscribe to our RSS Feeds - we have one for Full Contents, another for  News and also one for Books with details of reviews and additions to Book Watch. 

<ASIN:1871962439>

<ASIN:/B081YS81L7>

<ASIN:1839214112>

<ASIN:0578675862>

<ASIN:1087894867> 

<ASIN:1119474124>

Last Updated ( Saturday, 22 August 2020 )